Best Foods to Eat With New Braces
With new braces, you may notice that your mouth feels a little different after they’re first put on. To make your transition a little smoother, you may want to change your eating habits for the first few days while you get used to your new braces. Here are our top 5 suggestions for the best kinds of foods to eat when you first get braces:
1. Have a smoothie. Smoothies are great option for a delicious meal in a glass, offering a convenient, balanced option. Throw whatever you like in a blender, add protein to make it more filling and even try a handful of spinach— if the smoothie is made right, you won’t even taste it!. Here’s an example of a healthy smoothie recipe. Add to a blender:
- Milk (almond and coconut also work well)
- 2 large spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup of frozen berry mix
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 scoop whey protein powder
- 3 ice cubes
Blend until completely smooth, serve in a big glass with a straw and enjoy!
2. Think soft. The first day or so of having your new braces on will mean you may not feel like chewing a whole lot. But that’s fine–try something soft but delicious like tender turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy. Soups, chili, pudding, oatmeal and yogurt are all good choices during your first few days with braces.
3. Easy to chew. A steak dinner is not the best thing to have at your “congratulations on getting your braces” dinner. But meat shouldn’t be off the table completely–how about some shaved turkey cold cuts? Or tasty baked haddock? Scrambled eggs, omelettes or quiche? Maybe you know someone who makes a mean meatloaf—there are lots of protein choices that won’t make you chew too hard.
4. Try new things. Having to change up what you eat for a few days is the perfect excuse to try some new foods–how about a soft cheese you haven’t had before, like Munster or Brie? Or a grain, like couscous or quinoa? How about a new smoothie recipe for breakfast? Baked apples for a snack or dessert? You may end up discovering a new staple for your everyday diet.
5. Stay healthy. Don’t fall into the ice cream trap. Sure, it’s good for a treat, but it won’t give you the nourishment you need to look and feel your best. Eating soft food doesn’t mean eating unhealthy. Here are some suggestions for meals on a typical day when you first get your braces on:
- Breakfast – pack in the protein with a fruit smoothie and scrambled eggs
- Morning snack – two cubes of soft cheese, like Laughing Cow and a banana
- Lunch – tomato soup and a “salad” of carrot and cucumber ribbons (made with a veggie peeler)
- Supper – meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy
- Night-time snack – baked apples with maple syrup
And of course, remember to stay hydrated and drink lots of water throughout the day, avoiding pop and sugary drinks as your teeth are even more susceptible to cavities when you have braces.
Original Article: http://docbraces.com/2014/01/best-foods-eat-new-braces/
Looking for an orthodontist in Beaverton, Oregon? Biermann Orthodontics is a cutting-edge orthodontic practice that serves Beaverton and Molalla, OR, and focuses on providing world-class customer service and efficient treatment. We strive to create stunning smiles in the shortest amount of time without ever sacrificing quality.
Visit our Locations page to find a clinic near you, or schedule an initial consultation.
17885 NW Evergreen Parkway, Suite 200
Beaverton, OR 97006